Friday, August 17, 2007

More about the Urban Submarine Artist

A few days ago, we posted about the program to paint the traffic control boxes.

Abby Carman, the artist that painted the traffic box at Main and Washington, was nice enough to write us and tell us a little bit about herself and the inspiration for her work:

I wanted to tell you why I painted the USS Razorback patch on a traffic box. When I heard about this public art project, I wanted to use local elements in my design. On one traffic box I have music, on the other side a painter’s pallet. On the second box as you know I have the trolley on one side and the patch on the other. I wanted to grab the attention of the street traffic and make them think. I hope that the patch will bring some attention to the USS Razorback. I think we live in a world so removed from the war, that it does not feel “real” to us because we are not there. I wanted people to have a reminder that we have men and women willing to fight to keep us safe. The USS Razorback is our reminder here in North Little Rock. We all need a reminder, and I hope that the traffic box helps others, because it has helped me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home